Sunday, January 18, 2009

Portfolio

My works come after this intro - please read for background on why I write what I do!

I'm an English writer/High School junior born, bred and growing up in the Philippines - I was born half-Chinese, half-Filipino into a Protestant family and practice Chinese traditions handed down from generation to generation. I respect every race, religion, opinion, creation and person because I believe that I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do with their life and what is right or wrong - we all have our own views on that.

Writing is something I can do and not be judged physically - I can choose to show you only my writing. I'm a teenager - I'm insecure about a lot of things. Writing saved me from near social suicide and continues to keep me alive and sane amidst all the stress I go through everyday - it's like the weight of the world is lifted off my shoulders when I write.

As a writer I've tried numerous styles - fiction, journalism, poetry and tons of others but over time I've come to discover what I really want to do for the rest of my life.

I was born into one of the most musical families in the country - my grandmother was a renowned conductor and music professor in the country's best university, my aunt a music historian and my father one of the country's most sought-after record producers and drummers. Music is in my blood - there's no way out.

But I wouldn't want a way out.

I want to write about music. I want to write meaningful things about music and have my thoughts read by thousands of millions of people because it's what I love. Music moves me in ways I can't explain and writing helps me explain why it does.

My ultimate dream is to be a writer who can make or break an artists' career. I want my reviews to be so powerful and influential that even one bad word about a song or album can destroy an entire career. It's convoluted and will take decades but I don't care - it's what I love to do and it's what I really want it life, I will follow it to the grave.

After a ton of battles with my writing-related insecurities caused by myself I now realize that yes, I may be a kid and I may not have the maturity of real music journalists over a decade older than me but as long as I always write exactly what's on my mind, I can grow and mature as a writer.

Recently my main blog Pop Reviews Now became a finalist for the 2009 Philippine Blog Awards where I beat out hundreds of other candidates to be named one of the 11 Best Entertainment blogs in the country. It was an honor just to be nominated but to become a finalist? It was the biggest thing that had ever happened to me. I may not have won that trophy or the title but being one of the eleven best blogs in the country over hundreds, even thousands of other blogs makes me feel like I'm not putting all this work to waste. It made me feel like I was a blogger with worth - that my writing wasn't crap. I was the only kid there that night - I may have felt small and didn't know anyone there but just being able to see my blog's name flashed on that screen made waiting 3 hours standing outside the theatre worth it.

Below is my slowly-growing portfolio taken from my other blogs(see: navigation on top) or specially written for portfolio purposes. This body of works as of this moment, best describes me as a writer.

Articles + Interviews:

0 comments:

Post a Comment